PostgreSQL has a long history of innovation, extensibility and adaptability has allowed it to offer a wide array of features, making it a truly general purpose database. The discussion will include:
- An all round introduction to PostgreSQL, what it is and what you can do with it.
- PostgreSQL as much more than most developer's perceptions of an SQL92 database.
- Document storage
- geo-spatial data and through time-series (just a few of its applications).
- How to use these technologies and how to combine them to very powerful advantage.
- The ability to mix and match features to provide an advantage to your applications.
- Demonstrating why PostgreSQL should be everyone's primary data-store of choice.
The talk is aimed for a wide audience and include,
- How to setup PostgreSQL
- Basic installation
- Perf tuning gotchas
- Replication / clustering
- Streaming rep
- Logical rep
- Clustering approaches and options
- NoSQL with SQL
- Advanced SQL
- Window functions
- Table partitioning
- Functions and procedures
About the Speaker
Chris is a computing and electronics geek, who loves working with Open Source software. He is an independent consultant, with over 15 years of experience of PostgreSQL. He currently works on some interesting cloud applications and previously worked with PostgreSQL on IoT and smart energy insights. He runs the Bergamot Monitoring project.